(Tap footnote number to read it; tap up arrow (↑) to scroll back up to verse. Old Testament quotations/allusions are underlined.)
- Click on Chapter to expand text
- Click Here to Collapse All Chapters
- Click Here to Expand All Chapters (Useful for "find on page")
2 Timothy Chapter 1
Greeting and Encouragement
- Paul, an apostle of Jesus the Anointed through God’s will, according to the promise of life in Jesus the Anointed.
- to my beloved child Timothy: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Jesus the Anointed our Lord.
- I am thankful to God (who I serve with a pure conscience as my ancestors did) as I unceasingly remember you in my prayers night and day,
- remembering your tears, *longing –to see you so I might be filled with joy,
- having remembered the sincere faith in you, which first dwelled in your grandmother Lois and mother Eunice. And I am *persuaded that it’s also in you.
- For this reason, I remind you to rekindle the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands.
- For God hasn’t given us a spirit of cowardly timidity, but of power, and love, and self-control.
- Therefore, you shouldn’t be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord (nor of me, His prisoner) but suffer with me for the gospel according to the power of God,
- the One who saved us and called us with a holy calling. Not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given to us by Jesus the Anointed in the time before the ages.
- And now having been revealed through the appearance of our Savior Jesus the Anointed having abolished death and having illuminated life and immortality through the gospel,
- of which I was appointed a herald, and apostle, and teacher.
- I suffer these things for this reason, but I’m not ashamed. For I *know in whom I have believed, and I am *persuaded that He’s able to keep my deposit until that day.
- Hold fast to the example of sound words which you heard from me, in the faith and love which are in Jesus the Anointed.
- Keep the good deposit entrusted to you through the Holy Spirit; the One who dwells in us.
- You *know this: that all the men in Asia turned away from me, among whom are Phygelus and Hermogenes.
- May the Lord give mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, because he often refreshed me and wasn’t ashamed of my chains.
- But having been in Rome, he earnestly searched for me and found me.
- May the Lord grant him to find mercy from the Lord in that day! And you know how he served very well in Ephesus too.
Click to Collapse this Chapter
2 Timothy Chapter 2
- So you my child, be strengthened by the grace which is in Jesus the Anointed.
- And what you heard from me among many witnesses, entrust these things to faithful men who will also be fit to teach others.
- Suffer with me as a good soldier of Jesus the Anointed.
- No one serving as a soldier entangles himself in the affairs of life, so he might please the man who enlisted him.
- And also, if someone competes as an athlete, he isn’t is crowned victorious unless he competed lawfully.
- It’s proper for the farmer who toils to partake of the first fruits.
- Consider what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in all things.
- Remember Jesus the Anointed, from the seed of David, has been raised from the dead according to my gospel,
- by which I suffer evil, even to being bound in chains like a criminal; but the word of God hasn’t been bound.
- Because of this, I endure all things for the sake of the elect, so they also might obtain the salvation in Jesus the Anointed with the glory of ages.
- The saying is trustworthy: For if we died with Him, we will also live with Him.
- If we endure, we will also reign with Him. If we deny Him, He will also deny us.
- If we’re unfaithful, He remains faithful; for He isn’t able to deny Himself.
- Remind them of these things, solemnly charging them in the sight of God not to quarrel about words, which is profitable for nothing except the ruin of the men who hear.
An approved workman
- Be zealous to present yourself to God as an approved workman who doesn’t need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.
- But avoid profane, worthless babblings for they will lead to more ungodliness
- and their talk will spread like gangrene. Among whom are Hymenaeus and Philetus,
- who have gone astray concerning the truth, saying that the resurrection has already happened and they overthrow the faith of some.
- Nevertheless, the firm foundation of God *stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows the men who are His”, and: “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord must depart from unrighteousness”.
- Now, in a great house there aren’t only gold and silver vessels, but also wooden and clay vessels. And indeed, some are for honor, but some for dishonor.
- Therefore, if anyone has cleansed himself from these things, he will be a vessel for honor; having been made holy, useful to the Master, and having been prepared for every good work.
- And flee youthful cravings and pursue righteousness, faith, and peace with the men who call on the name of the Lord from a pure heart.
- But shun foolish and ignorant controversies, *knowing that they give birth to quarrels.
- Now, it’s not proper for a slave of the Lord to quarrel, but to be gentle toward all, able to teach, patiently enduring evil,
- correcting the men who oppose us in gentle strength, lest at some time God might give them repentance for knowledge of the truth,
- and they might recover their senses, coming out of the snare of the Accuser after having been *captured by him to do his will.
Click to Collapse this Chapter
2 Timothy Chapter 3
The last days
- But realize this: trying times will come in the last days.
- For men will be selfish lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful,(1)“boastful” this Greek word properly refers to someone who makes boastful, fantastic claims but can’t follow through. Therefore, they constantly seek a new audience because their old audience loses interest when they realize the man is full of empty words. arrogant, slanderous blasphemers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy,
- without familial affection, not willing to make peace, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, haters of good,
- treacherous, reckless, *puffed up, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God;
- having a form of godliness but *denying its power. And turn away from men such as these.
- For these are the men who creep into houses and captivate foolish women *burdened with sins, being led astray by various cravings;
- always learning and never being able to come to a knowledge of the truth.
- And just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so also these men oppose the truth; Men who *are utterly depraved in mind, falling the test(2)“falling the test” is one word in Greek. It was used of counterfeit coins which were tested and “failed the test” to see if they were genuine. concerning the faith.
- But they won’t advance much further, for their foolishness will be obvious to all, as the foolishness of those two also became obvious.
All Scripture is God-breathed
- But you closely followed my teaching, conduct, purpose, faith, forbearance, love, endurance,
- persecutions, sufferings, such as happened to me in Antioch, in Iconium, and in Lystra; such persecutions I endured! And the Lord delivered me from all of them.
- And also, all the men who desire to live devoutly in Jesus the Anointed will be persecuted.
- But wicked men and swindling imposters will blaze a trail(3)“blazing a trail” is one word in Greek with that exact meaning. The Greek word refers to a pioneer cutting through brushwood to create a path, exactly like the English idiom “blaze a trail” to worse; leading some astray and being led astray.
- But you: abide in what you learned and were assured of, *knowing which men you learned them from,
- and that from infancy you have known the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Jesus the Anointed.
- All scripture is God-breathed and useful for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
- so the man of God might be prepared; having been fully equipped for every good work.
Click to Collapse this Chapter
2 Timothy Chapter 4
Preach the Word
- I solemnly charge you in the sight of God and Jesus the Anointed – the One who is about to judge the living and the dead – and by His appearing and by His Kingdom:
- preach the word. Be ready in season or out of season: convict with evidence, rebuke, and admonish in all patience and instruction.
- For there will be a time when they won’t endure sound teaching. But with an itching ear they will gather heaps of teachers to themselves according to their own cravings,
- and they will indeed turn away from hearing the truth and will be turned aside to myths.
- But you: be sober in everything, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fully complete your ministry.
- For I’m already poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure *is at hand.
- I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
- From now on, a crown of righteousness is stored up for me, which the Lord – the righteous judge – will repay to me in that day. And not only to me, but also to all the men who have loved His appearing.
Final instructions and greetings
- Make haste to come to me quickly,
- for having preferred the present age, Demas has deserted me and went to Thessalonica. Crescens went to Galatia and Titus to Dalmatia.
- Only Luke is with me. And having taken Mark along, bring him with yourself for he’s useful to me in the ministry.
- But I sent Tychicus to Ephesus.
- Bring the cloak that I left behind in Troas with Carpus when you come, and the books, especially the parchments.
- Alexander the coppersmith did much harm to me. The Lord will repay him according to his deeds.
- who also you must watch carefully, for he greatly opposes our message.
- No one was beside me in my first defense, but all deserted me. May it not be counted against them.
- Yet the Lord stood beside me and strengthened me, so that through me, the proclamation might be fully accomplished and all the gentiles might hear. And I was delivered from the lion’s mouth.
- The Lord will deliver me from every wicked deed and will preserve me for His heavenly kingdom; to Whom be the glory for the ages of the ages. Amen.
- Greet Prisca(4)“Prisca” is a more familiar, diminutive form of Priscilla. It was likely a nickname. and Aquila, also the household of Onesiphorus.
- Erastus remained in Corinth. And with Trophimus being sick, I left him in Miletus.
- Make haste to come to me before winter. Eubulus greets you, and Pudens, and Linus, and Claudia, and all the brothers.
- The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you all. [Amen]
Click to Collapse this Chapter
Next: The Book of Titus
Previous: The Book of 1 Timothy
Up: BOS Bible Index
Note: If you think a word, phrase, or passage could be better translated - or is wrong - then Please Say Something. This is an open source Bible that's accountable to all Christians. See this link for details.
Legal Use: Please feel free to quote the BOS Bible, but follow the guidelines on the Legal Use page when doing so. They are easy and mostly common sense.