(Tap footnote number to read it; tap up arrow (↑) to scroll back up to verse. Old Testament quotations/allusions are underlined.)
Greeting and Encouragement
- Paul, an apostle of Jesus the Anointed through God’s will, according to the promise of life in Jesus the Anointed.
- to my beloved child Timothy: Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Jesus the Anointed our Lord.
- I am thankful to God (who I serve with a pure conscience as my ancestors did) as I unceasingly remember you in my prayers night and day.
- And remembering your tears, I’m longing to see you so I might be filled with joy,
- when remembering the sincere faith in you, which first dwelled in your grandmother Lois and mother Eunice. And I was – and am – persuaded that it’s also in you.
- For this reason, I remind you to rekindle the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands.
- For God hasn’t given us a spirit of cowardly timidity, but of power, and love, and self-control.
- Therefore, you shouldn’t be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord (nor of me, His prisoner) but suffer with me for the gospel according to the power of God,
- the One who saved us and called us with a holy calling. Not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given to us by Jesus the Anointed in the time before the ages.
- And now it was revealed through the appearance of our Savior Jesus the Anointed, who indeed abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel,
- of which I was appointed a herald, and apostle, and teacher.
- I suffer these things for this reason, but I’m not ashamed. For I did – and do – know in whom I did – and do – believe. And I was – and am – persuaded that He’s able to keep my deposit until that day.
- Hold fast to the example of sound words which you heard from me, in the faith and love which are in Jesus the Anointed.
- Keep the good deposit entrusted to you through the Holy Spirit; the One who dwells in us.
- You did – and do – know this: that all the men in Asia turned away from me, among whom are Phygelus and Hermogenes.
- May the Lord give mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, because he often refreshed me and wasn’t ashamed of my chains.
- But while being in Rome, he earnestly searched for me and found me.
- May the Lord grant him to find mercy from the Lord in that day! And you know how he served very well in Ephesus too.
Next: 2 Timothy chapter 2
Previous: 1 Timothy chapter 6
Up: BOS Bible Index
Note: If you think a word, phrase, or passage could be better translated - or is wrong - then Please Say Something. This is an open source Bible that's accountable to all Christians. See this link for details.
Legal Use: Please feel free to quote the BOS Bible, but follow the guidelines on the Legal Use page when doing so. They are easy and mostly common sense.