(Tap footnote to read it. Old Testament quotations are underlined. "Love" with a caret ("^love") is agapé.1"agapé" The Greek words ἀγάπη (agapé, noun), and ἀγαπάω (agapaó; verb) are typically translated "love". However, unlike our English word "love" – which primarily speaks of affection and feelings – agapé centers on choice and behavior. It’s the "love" based on will, choice, behavior, and action; not feelings. (Feelings-based love is the Greek word φιλέω (phileó), which properly means "brotherly love/affection".) Thus, you could hate someone passionately and still treat him with "agapé". Agapé "love" is best understood as the pursuit of what is most beneficial to someone or something, regardless of the cost to yourself or the type of response received from the person or thing. It can also indicate a preference for someone or something over other things. )
- So you my child, be strengthened by the grace which is in Jesus the Anointed.
- And what you heard from me among many witnesses, entrust these things to faithful men who will also be fit to teach others.
- Suffer with me as a good soldier of Jesus the Anointed.
- No one serving as a soldier entangles himself in the affairs of life so he might please the man who enlisted him.
- And also, if someone competes as an athlete, he isn’t crowned victorious unless he competes lawfully.
- It’s proper for the farmer toiling to partake of the first fruits.
- Consider what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in all things.
- Remember Jesus the Anointed, from the seed of David, has been raised from the dead according to my gospel,
- by which I suffer evil, even to being bound in chains like a criminal; but the word of God hasn’t been bound.
- Because of this, I endure all things for the sake of the elect, so they also might obtain the salvation in Jesus the Anointed with the glory of ages.
- The saying is trustworthy: For if we died with Him, we will also live with Him.
- If we endure, we will also reign with Him. If we will deny Him, He will also deny us.
- If we’re unfaithful, He remains faithful; for He isn’t able to deny Himself.
- Remind them of these things, solemnly charging them in the sight of God not to quarrel about words, which is profitable for nothing except the ruin of the men hearing it.
An approved workman
- Be zealous to present yourself to God as an approved workman who doesn’t need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.
- But avoid profane, worthless babblings for they will lead to more ungodliness
- and their talk will have growth like gangrene. Among whom are Hymenaeus and Philetus,
- who went astray concerning the truth, saying that the resurrection has already happened and they overthrow the faith of some.
- Nevertheless, the firm foundation of God *stands, having this seal: “The Lord knew the men being His”, and: “Everyone calling on the name of the Lord must depart from unrighteousness”.
- Now, in a great house there aren’t only gold and silver vessels, but also wooden and clay vessels. And indeed, some are for honor, but some for dishonor.
- Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from these things, he will be a vessel for honor; having been made holy, useful to the Master, and having been prepared for every good work.
- And flee youthful cravings and pursue righteousness, faith, ^love, and peace with the men calling on the name of the Lord from a pure heart.
- But shun foolish and ignorant controversies, *knowing that they give birth to quarrels.
- Now, it’s not proper for a slave of the Lord to quarrel, but to be gentle toward all, able to teach, patiently enduring evil,
- correcting the men opposing us in gentle strength, lest at some time God might give them repentance for knowledge of the truth,
- and they might recover their senses, coming out of the snare of the Accuser after having been *captured by him to do his will.
Next: 2 Timothy chapter 3
Previous: 2 Timothy chapter 1
Up: BOS Bible Index
Note: If you think a word, phrase, or passage could be better translated - or is wrong - then Please Say Something. This is an open source Bible that's accountable to all Christians. See this link for details.
Legal Use: Please feel free to quote the BOS Bible, but follow the guidelines on the Legal Use page when doing so. They are easy and mostly common sense.