(Tap footnote number to read it; tap up arrow (↑) to scroll back up to verse. Old Testament quotations/allusions are underlined.)
Preach the Word
- I solemnly charge you in the sight of God and Jesus the Anointed – the One who is about to judge the living and the dead – and by His appearing and by His Kingdom:
- preach the word. Be ready in season or out of season: convict with evidence, rebuke, and admonish in all patience and instruction.
- For there will be a time when they won’t endure sound teaching. But with an itching ear they will gather heaps of teachers to themselves according to their own cravings,
- and they will indeed turn away from hearing the truth and will be turned aside to myths.
- But you: be sober in everything, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fully complete your ministry.
- For I’m already poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure *is at hand.
- I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
- From now on, a crown of righteousness is stored up for me, which the Lord – the righteous judge – will repay to me in that day. And not only to me, but also to all the men who have loved His appearing.
Final instructions and greetings
- Make haste to come to me quickly,
- for having preferred the present age, Demas has deserted me and went to Thessalonica. Crescens went to Galatia and Titus to Dalmatia.
- Only Luke is with me. And having taken Mark along, bring him with yourself for he’s useful to me in the ministry.
- But I sent Tychicus to Ephesus.
- Bring the cloak that I left behind in Troas with Carpus when you come, and the books, especially the parchments.
- Alexander the coppersmith did much harm to me. The Lord will repay him according to his deeds.
- who also you must watch carefully, for he greatly opposes our message.
- No one was beside me in my first defense, but all deserted me. May it not be counted against them.
- Yet the Lord stood beside me and strengthened me, so that through me, the proclamation might be fully accomplished and all the gentiles might hear. And I was delivered from the lion’s mouth.
- The Lord will deliver me from every wicked deed and will preserve me for His heavenly kingdom; to Whom be the glory for the ages of the ages. Amen.
- Greet Prisca(1)“Prisca” is a more familiar, diminutive form of Priscilla. It was likely a nickname. and Aquila, also the household of Onesiphorus.
- Erastus remained in Corinth. And with Trophimus being sick, I left him in Miletus.
- Make haste to come to me before winter. Eubulus greets you, and Pudens, and Linus, and Claudia, and all the brothers.
- The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you all. [Amen]
Next: Titus chapter 1
Previous: 2 Timothy chapter 3
Up: BOS Bible Index
Note: If you think a word, phrase, or passage could be better translated - or is wrong - then Please Say Something. This is an open source Bible that's accountable to all Christians. See this link for details.
Legal Use: Please feel free to quote the BOS Bible, but follow the guidelines on the Legal Use page when doing so. They are easy and mostly common sense.