(Tap footnote number to read it; tap up arrow (↑) to scroll back up to verse. Old Testament quotations/allusions are underlined.)
- And after six days, Jesus took Peter, and James, and John his brother. And He led them up to a high mountain on their own.
- And He was transfigured in front of them. And His face shone like the sun, and His clothes became white as light.
- And behold; Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him.
- Then answering, Peter said to Jesus; “Lord, it’s good for us to be here. If you wish, I’ll make three tabernacles(1)A tabernacle is a moveable structure like a tent. However, they are typically much more rigid, expensive, and much nicer. In the Old Testament, God didn’t have a temple until Solomon’s day. Before that, He “dwelled” in a tabernacle built to exacting standards. here: one for you, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah.
- While He was still speaking, Behold; a shining cloud overshadowed them. And Behold; a voice came from the cloud saying; “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Listen to Him.”
- And hearing this, the disciples fell on their faces and were extremely terrified.
- Then approaching, Jesus touched them and said; “Get up and don’t be afraid.”
- And lifting their eyes, they saw no one except Jesus. He was alone.
- And while they were coming down from the mountain, Jesus commanded them, saying; “Tell no one of the vision until the Son of Man is risen from the dead.”
- And the disciples questioned Him, saying; “Then why do the scribes(2)“scribes” in the New Testament, this Greek word is typically applied to those learned in the Mosaic Law. say: “Elijah must come first”?”
- And answering, He said; “Indeed, Elijah comes first and will restore all things.
- “But I tell you Elijah has already come. And they didn’t recognize him, but did whatever they wished to him. In the same way also, the Son of Man is about to suffer under them.
- Then the disciples understood that He spoke to them about John the Baptist.
Healing a Demon Possessed Boy
- And when they came to the crowd, a man approached Him. And falling to his knees before Him,
- He was saying; “Lord, have mercy on my son because he has seizures and suffers terribly. For he often falls into fire, and often into the water.
- And I brought him to your disciples, and they couldn’t heal him.
- Then answering, Jesus said; “O, You unbelieving generation who was – and is – perverted. How long will I be with you? How long will I put up with you? Bring him here to me.
- And Jesus rebuked him, and the demon went out from him. And the boy was healed from that very hour.
- Then approaching Jesus in private, the disciples said; “Why couldn’t we cast it out?”
- And He said to them; “Because your faith is weak. For truly I tell you: if you had faith like a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain: “Move from here to there” and it will move. And nothing will be impossible for you.
- [“But this kind doesn’t go out except by prayer and fasting.](3)This textual variant is essentially identical to Mark 9:29 – so it changes nothing doctrinally – but the authenticity of this verse to Matthew’s gospel is disputed. There are strong arguments on both sides, but the argument doesn’t center on theology. It is merely about if this verse was copied over from Mark’s gospel by scribes, or original to Matthew.
Predicting the Resurrection
- Now, while they were gathered in Galilee, Jesus told them; “The Son of Man is about to be betrayed into the hands of men.
- “And they will kill Him, and on the third day He will be raised up.” And they were extremely grieved.
The Temple Tax
- Now, they came to Capernaum and the men who collect the two-drachma(4)A drachma is an ancient Greek silver coin that weighed 4.3 grams, or 0.15 ounces. tax approached Peter and said; “Doesn’t your teacher pay the two-drachma tax?”
- He said; “Yes.” And going into the house, Jesus anticipated him, saying; “What’s your opinion Simon? From whom do the kings of the earth take tax and tribute? From their sons or from strangers?”
- Then Peter said; “From the strangers.” Jesus said to him; “Then the sons are free.”
- “But, so that we don’t offend them… going to the sea, cast a fishhook and pick up the fish that comes up first. And opening its mouth, you’ll find a silver coin.(5)“a silver coin” is literally “a statér”, an Greek coin worth four drachma. So taking that coin, give it to them for Me and you. “
Next: Matthew chapter 18
Previous: Matthew chapter 16
Up: BOS Bible Menu
Note: If you think a word, phrase, or passage could be better translated - or is wrong - then Please Say Something. This is an open source Bible that's accountable to all Christians. See this link for details.
Legal Use: Please feel free to quote the BOS Bible, but follow the guidelines on the Legal Use page when doing so. They are easy and mostly common sense.