(Tap footnote number to read it; tap up arrow (↑) to scroll back up to verse. Old Testament quotations/allusions are underlined.)
Water to wine
- And the third day, there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there.
- And Jesus and His disciples were also invited to the wedding.
- And having run out of wine, the mother of Jesus tells Him: “They have no wine.”
- And He tells her: “Woman, why involve Me and you? My hour hasn’t come yet.”
- His mother tells the servants: “Do whatever He might tell you.”
- Now, six stone water jars for the ceremonial purification of the Jews were laying there, having space for two or three metretae.(1)“metretae” A unit of liquid measure equal to about 8.75 gallons or about 33 liters.
- Jesus tells them: “Fill the water jars with water.” And they filled them up to the top.
- And He tells them: “Now draw some out and carry it to the master of the feast.” And they carried it to him.
- Now, when the master of the feast tasted the water which had become wine and hadn’t known where it came from – but the servants who drew the water knew – the master of the feast calls the bridegroom
- and tells him: “Every man sets out the good wine first, and when they’ve gotten drunk sets out the inferior wine. You have kept the good wine until now.”
- This – the beginning of His signs – Jesus did in Cana of Galilee; and He revealed His glory and His disciples believed in Him.
- After this He went down into Capernaum – He and His mother and His disciples – and they remained there not many days.
Cleansing the temple and Passover
- And the Passover of the Jews was near, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
- And in the temple He found the men who sell oxen, and sheep, and doves, and the moneychangers who sit there.
- And having made a whip of cords, He drove all of them out of the temple with both their sheep and oxen, and He poured out the moneychangers’ coins, and He overturned the tables.
- And He told the men who sell doves: “Take these things away from here; don’t make My Father’s house a market house!”
- His disciples were reminded that it is *written: “The zeal of your house will consume Me.”(2)quotation/allusion to Psalm 69:9
- Therefore, the Jews answered and said to Him: “Because you do these things, what sign do you show us?”
- Jesus answered and said to them: “Destroy this temple and I will raise it up in three days.”
- Therefore the Jews said: “This temple was built in forty and six years, and you will raise it up in three days?”
- (But He was speaking about the temple of His body.)
- Therefore when He was raised from the dead, His disciples were reminded that He was saying this, and they believed the scripture and the word which Jesus spoke.
- And while He was in Jerusalem at the Passover, many at the feast believed in His name after observing the signs that He was doing.
- But Jesus Himself wasn’t entrusting Himself to them because He knows all men,
- and because He has no need that someone might testify about a man, for He knows what’s in the man.
Next: John chapter 3
Previous: John chapter 1
Up: The Book of John
Up: BOS Bible Index
Note: If you think a word, phrase, or passage could be better translated - or is wrong - then Please Say Something. This is an open source Bible that's accountable to all Christians. See this link for details.
Legal Use: Please feel free to quote the BOS Bible, but follow the guidelines on the Legal Use page when doing so. They are easy and mostly common sense.