(Tap footnote to read it. Old Testament quotations are underlined. "Love" with a caret ("^love") is agapé.(3)"agapé" The Greek words ἀγάπη (agapé, noun), and ἀγαπάω (agapaó; verb) are typically translated "love". However, unlike our English word "love" – which primarily speaks of affection and feelings – agapé centers on choice and behavior. It’s the "love" based on will, choice, behavior, and action; not feelings. (Feelings-based love is the Greek word φιλέω (phileó), which properly means "brotherly love/affection".) Thus, you could hate someone passionately and still treat him with "agapé". Agapé "love" is best understood as the pursuit of what is most beneficial to someone or something, regardless of the cost to yourself or the type of response received from the person or thing. It can also indicate a preference for someone or something over other things. )
The Mystery of the Gospel
- For this reason, I Paul, am the prisoner of Jesus the Anointed for you the gentiles,
- if indeed you’ve heard of the stewardship of the grace of God which was given to me for you,
- that He made known to me the mystery by revelation, just as I wrote before in brief.
- Which by reading it, you’re able to comprehend my understanding in the mystery of the Anointed,
- which wasn’t made known to the sons of men in other generations, as it has now been revealed to His holy apostles and prophets in the Spirit.
- To be clear, the gentiles are fellow heirs, and fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers in the promise of Jesus the Anointed through the gospel,
- of which I became a servant according to the gift of God’s grace which was given to me, according to the work of His power.
- This grace was given to me – who’s less than the least of all saints – to proclaim the gospel of the incomprehensible riches of the Anointed,
- and to enlighten all men to see what is the stewardship of the mystery which has been hidden from the ages by God, the One who created everything.
- So now, the multi-faceted wisdom of God would be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms through the church,
- according to the plan of ages, which He accomplished in Jesus the Anointed, our Lord,
- in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him.
God’s Love and Glory
- Therefore, I beg you not to grow weary at my afflictions for you, which is your glory.
- For this reason, I bow my knees in prayer to the Father [of our Lord Jesus the Anointed],
- from whom every family line(1)“family line” is one word in Greek and refers to a group of people descended from a common ancestor. Thus, it can mean a family, tribe, or even a nation with a common ancestor. in the heavens and on the earth is named,
- so according to the riches of His glory, He might grant you to be strengthened with power in the inner man through His spirit,
- for the Anointed to dwell in your hearts through faith; *being rooted and grounded in ^love,
- so you might be strong enough to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth, and length, and height, and depth,
- and to know the ^love of the Anointed which surpasses knowledge, so you might be filled with all the fullness of God.
- Now, to the One who is able to do far above everything that we ask or think according to the power which works in us,
- to Him be the glory in the church and in Jesus the Anointed throughout all generations, to the age of ages.(2)“to the age of ages” is literal, though most translations render it “forever and ever”. While that could be the intended sense, “to the age of ages” quite possibly indicates the “greatest of all the ages”, much in the same way we might say the “battles of battles” to indicate the greatest battle ever. This would likely refer to the “age” of the New Heavens and New Earth in Revelation 21-22, which will indeed last forever. Amen.
Next: Ephesians chapter 4
Previous: Ephesians chapter 2
Up: BOS Bible Index
Note: If you think a word, phrase, or passage could be better translated - or is wrong - then Please Say Something. This is an open source Bible that's accountable to all Christians. See this link for details.
Legal Use: Please feel free to quote the BOS Bible, but follow the guidelines on the Legal Use page when doing so. They are easy and mostly common sense.