(Tap footnote number to read it; tap up arrow (↑) to scroll back up to verse. Old Testament quotations/allusions are underlined.)
Greetings From Paul
- Paul, an apostle of Jesus the Anointed through the will of God, To the saints who are in Ephesus and faithful in Jesus the Anointed.
- Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Anointed Lord Jesus.
- Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus the Anointed, the One who blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavens through the Anointed.
- Just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, for us to be holy and blameless before Him in love,
- having appointed us beforehand to the adoption as sons for Himself through Jesus the Anointed, according to the good pleasure of His will,
- to praise the glory of His grace, which he graced to us in the One who is *beloved.
- In whom we have the repurchase payment(1)“repurchase payment” is one word in Greek, typically translated “redemption”. It properly refers to the price paid to “buy back” something that had been lost. through His blood; the forgiveness of missteps(2)“missteps”. The Greek word used here doesn’t quite mean “sin”. It’s the word “παράπτωμα” (paraptóma) which is also used in Ephesians 2:1 in the phrase: “dead in your ‘paraptóma’ and sins”. It carries the connotation of a “slip-up” with the strong implication – but not certainty – that it was unintentional. according to the riches of His grace,
- which He abundantly supplied to us in all wisdom and prudence,
- having made known the mystery of God’s will to us, according to His good pleasure which He planned beforehand in Him,
- for the stewardship of the fullness of the opportune time, to gather together all things in the Anointed; both the things in the heavens and the things on the earth.
- In whom we also received a share in Him, having been appointed beforehand according to the set forth purpose of the One who works everything according to the plan of His will,
- for us (the men who *are the first to hope in the Anointed) to be the praise of His glory.
- In whom you also (having heard the True Word of the gospel of your salvation, in whom you also believed) were sealed(3)“were sealed” is one word in Greek. Commonly, this was done by melting wax and using a signet ring to make an impression before the wax had fully cooled. If the wax seal was broken, it was impossible to fix without using the signet ring again. This served as a form of signature in the ancient world. with the Holy Spirit of promise,
- who is the down payment(4)“down payment” is literal. The Greek word here is imported from Hebrew and refers to “earnest money” given as a surety that the rest of the payment will be given. of our inheritance; a repurchase payment(5)“repurchase payment” is one word in Greek, typically translated “redemption”. It properly refers to the price paid to “buy back” something that had been lost. for a purchased possession, to the praise of His glory
- Because of this, having heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love to all the saints, I also
- don’t stop giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers,
- so the God of our Lord Jesus the Anointed – the Father of glory – might give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the full knowledge of Him,
- *enlightening the eyes of your heart for you to have seen what is the hope of His calling; what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
- and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us (the men who believe) according to the mighty work of His strength,
- which He has worked in the Anointed, having raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavens,
- far above every ruler, and authority, and power, and dominion, and every name which is named; not only in this age, but also in the age which is about to come.
- And He made everything subject under His feet and placed Him as head over everything, including the church,
- which is His body, the fullness of the One who fills all in all.
Next: Ephesians chapter 2
Previous: Galatians chapter 6
Up: BOS Bible Index
Note: If you think a word, phrase, or passage could be better translated - or is wrong - then Please Say Something. This is an open source Bible that's accountable to all Christians. See this link for details.
Legal Use: Please feel free to quote the BOS Bible, but follow the guidelines on the Legal Use page when doing so. They are easy and mostly common sense.