(Tap footnote number to read it; tap up arrow (↑) to scroll back up to verse. Old Testament quotations/allusions are underlined.)
Children of God keep His commands
- Behold what kind of love the Father given to us, so we might be called children of God; and we are. The world doesn’t know us because of this, because it didn’t know Him.
- Beloved, we are now children of God, and it hasn’t yet been revealed what we will be. We *know that when He is revealed, we will be like Him because we will see Him just as He is.
- And every man who has this hope in Him purifies himself just as He is pure.
- Every man who practices a sin also practices disregard for God’s commands,(1)“disregard for God’s commands” is one word in Greek, and is more literally “ignoring God’s law”. It’s a noun, and literally means “those who are without law”; i.e. those who – either by ignorance or by rebellion – don’t obey God’s (moral) law. and sin is disregard for God’s commands.
- And you *know that He was revealed so He might take away sins; and there is no sin in Him.
- Every man who remains in Him doesn’t continue in sin. Every man who sins hasn’t seen Him and hasn’t known Him.
- Little children, let no one mislead you; the man who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous.
- The man who practices sin is from the Accuser because the Accuser sins from the beginning. The Son of God was revealed for this, so He might dissolve the works of the Accuser.
- Every man who has been born of God doesn’t practice sin because His seed remains in him, and he isn’t able to sin because he has been born of God.
- By this, the children of God and the children of the Accuser are obvious; every man who doesn’t practice righteousness isn’t of God, and neither is the man who doesn’t love his brother,
- because this is the message that you heard from the beginning so you might love one another.
- Not as Cain, who being of the evil one also slew his brother. And he slew him for what reason? Because his works were evil, but his brother’s were righteous.
- And so Brothers, don’t marvel if the world hates you.
- We *know that we have passed over from death into life because we love our brothers. The man who doesn’t love remains in death.
- Every man who hates his brother is a murderer, and you *know that every murderer doesn’t have the life of ages remaining in him.
- By this we have known love, because He laid down His life for our sake. And we’re obligated to lay down our lives for our brother’s sake.
- Whoever has a livelihood in the world, and sees his brother having a need, and shuts his heart from his brother, how does the love of God remain in him?
- Little children, we shouldn’t love in word nor in tongue, but by action and truth.
- And by this we will know that we are of the truth, and will reassure our heart before Him,
- because if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart and He knows all things.
- Beloved, if our heart doesn’t condemn us, we have confidence towards God.
- And if(2)“if” many translations leave out the Greek conjunction “ἐὰν” (ean, which is roughly equivalent to the English word “if”) here due to the difficultly of translating the Greek grammar here to English Literally in Greek it’s: “and whatever if we ask we receive from Him…”. we ask, we receive whatever we ask from Him because we keep His commandments and do what is pleasing in His sight.
- And this is His commandment, that we believe the name of His Son, Jesus the Anointed, and that we love one another, just as He gave the commandment to us.
- And the man who keeps His commandments remains in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He remains in us, from the Spirit who He gave to us.
Next: 1 John chapter 4
Previous: 1 John chapter 2
Up: BOS Bible Index
Note: If you think a word, phrase, or passage could be better translated - or is wrong - then Please Say Something. This is an open source Bible that's accountable to all Christians. See this link for details.
Legal Use: Please feel free to quote the BOS Bible, but follow the guidelines on the Legal Use page when doing so. They are easy and mostly common sense.