(Tap footnote to read it. Old Testament quotations are underlined. "Love" with a caret ("^love") is agapé.(4)"agapé" The Greek words ἀγάπη (agapé, noun), and ἀγαπάω (agapaó; verb) are typically translated "love". However, unlike our English word "love" – which primarily speaks of affection and feelings – agapé centers on choice and behavior. It’s the "love" based on will, choice, behavior, and action; not feelings. (Feelings-based love is the Greek word φιλέω (phileó), which properly means "brotherly love/affection".) Thus, you could hate someone passionately and still treat him with "agapé". Agapé "love" is best understood as the pursuit of what is most beneficial to someone or something, regardless of the cost to yourself or the type of response received from the person or thing. It can also indicate a preference for someone or something over other things. )
- The genealogy scroll of Jesus the Anointed;(1)Most translations say “Jesus Christ” here. Contrary to popular belief, “Christ” is not Jesus’ last name; it’s a descriptive title. “Christ” is a transliteration of the Greek word “Χριστός” (Christos), with “Christ” being the Greek word and the “os” ending indicating its function in the sentence. Christ(os) literally means “anointed one” or “one who has been anointed”. the son of David, the son of Abraham.
- Abraham fathered Isaac. And Isaac fathered Jacob. And Jacob fathered Judah and his brothers.
- And Judah fathered Perez and Zerah from Tamar. And Perez fathered Hezron. And Hezron fathered Ram.
- And Ram fathered Amminadab. And Amminadab fathered Nahshon. And Nahshon fathered Salmon.
- And Salmon fathered Boaz from Rahab. And Boaz fathered Obed from Ruth. And Obed fathered Jesse.
- And Jesse fathered David the king. And David fathered Solomon from the widow of Uriah.
- And Solomon fathered Rehoboam. And Rehoboam fathered Abijah. And Abijah fathered Asa.
- And Asa fathered Jehoshaphat. And Jehoshaphat fathered Joram. And Joram fathered Uzziah.
- And Uzziah fathered Jotham. And Jotham fathered Ahaz. And Ahaz fathered Hezekiah.
- And Hezekiah fathered Manasseh. And Manasseh fathered Amos. And Amos fathered Josiah.
- And Josiah fathered Jeconiah and his brothers before the deportation to Babylon.
- And after the deportation to Babylon, Jeconiah fathered Shealtiel. And Shealtiel fathered Zerubbabel.
- And Zerubbabel fathered Abiud. And Abiud fathered Eliakim. And Eliakim fathered Azor.
- And Azor fathered Zadok. And Zadok fathered Achim. And Achim fathered Eliud.
- And Eliud fathered Eleazar. And Eleazar fathered Matthan. And Matthan fathered Jacob.
- And Jacob fathered Joseph, the husband of Mary, from whom was born Jesus, the One who is called “the Anointed”.
- Therefore, all the generations from Abraham until David were 14 generations. And from David until the deportation to Babylon were 14 generations. And from the deportation to Babylon until the Anointed were 14 generations.
Jesus’ Conception and Birth
- Now, the birth of Jesus the Anointed was like this: having been betrothed to Joseph, His mother Mary was found having a child in her womb from the Holy Spirit before they came together.
- Yet Joseph her husband – being righteous and not wishing to publicly disgrace her – resolved to send her away secretly.
- And having been greatly troubled(2)“having been greatly troubled” is a single word in Greek. This difficult to translate word literally means being in a state of passionate response/thinking, typically producing inner turmoil. by these things, behold; an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream saying; “Joseph, son of David, don’t be afraid to take Mary as your wife. For the child which was conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.
- “She will bear a son, and you will call his name Jesus because He will save His people from their sins.
- “And all this has happened so it might be fulfilled, what was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying:
- “Behold! The virgin will carry a child in her womb and will bear a son. And they will call His name Immanuel;”(3)quotation/allusion to Isaiah 7:14 which is translated: “God with us”.
- And having been woken from his sleep, Joseph did as the angel of the Lord commanded and took her as his wife.
- Also, he wasn’t knowing her intimately until she gave birth to a son, and he called His name Jesus.
Next : Matthew Chapter 2
Previous: Malachi Chapter 4 (translation not yet started)
Up: BOS Bible Index
Note: If you think a word, phrase, or passage could be better translated - or is wrong - then Please Say Something. This is an open source Bible that's accountable to all Christians. See this link for details.
Legal Use: Please feel free to quote the BOS Bible, but follow the guidelines on the Legal Use page when doing so. They are easy and mostly common sense.