(Tap footnote number to read it; tap up arrow (↑) to scroll back up to verse. Old Testament quotations/allusions are underlined.)
- The genealogy scroll of Jesus the Anointed;(1)Most translations say “Jesus Christ” here. Contrary to popular belief, “Christ” is not Jesus’ last name; it’s a descriptive title. “Christ” is a transliteration of the Greek word “Χριστός” (Christos), with “Christ” being the Greek word and the “os” ending indicates it’s function in the sentence. Christ(os) literally means “anointed one” or “one who has been anointed”. the son of David, the son of Abraham.
- Abraham fathered Isaac. Then Isaac fathered Jacob. Then Jacob fathered Judah and his brothers.
- Then Judah fathered Perez and Zerah, who came out of Tamar. Then Perez fathered Hezron. Then Hezron fathered Ram.
- Then Ram fathered Amminadab. Then Amminadab fathered Nahshon. Then Nahshon fathered Salmon.
- Then Salmon fathered Boaz who came out of Rahab. Then Boaz fathered Obed who came out of Ruth. Then Obed fathered Jesse.
- Then Jesse fathered David the king. Then David fathered Solomon, who came out of the wife of Uriah.
- Then Solomon fathered Rehoboam. Then Rehoboam fathered Abijah. Then Abijah fathered Asa.
- Then Asa fathered Jehoshaphat. Then Jehoshaphat fathered Joram. Then Joram fathered Uzziah.
- Then Uzziah fathered Jotham. Then Jotham fathered Ahaz. Then Ahaz fathered Hezekiah.
- Then Hezekiah fathered Manasseh. Then Manasseh fathered Amos. Then Amos fathered Josiah.
- Then Josiah fathered Jeconiah and his brothers before the exile to Babylon.
- Then after the exile to Babylon, Jeconiah fathered Shealtiel. Then Shealtiel fathered Zerubbabel.
- Then Zerubbabel fathered Abiud. Then Abiud fathered Eliakim. Then Eliakim fathered Azor.
- Then Azor fathered Zadok. Then Zadok fathered Achim. Then Achim fathered Eliud.
- Then Eliud fathered Eleazar. Then Eleazar fathered Matthan. Then Matthan fathered Jacob.
- Then Jacob fathered Joseph, the husband of Mary, out of whom was born Jesus, called The Anointed.
- Therefore, all the generations from Abraham until David were 14 generations. And from David until the exile to Babylon were 14 generations. And from the exile to Babylon until The Anointed were 14 generations.
Jesus’ Conception and Birth
- Now, the birth of Jesus the Anointed was like this: Mary His mother was betrothed to Joseph. But before they came together, it was discovered that she carried a child in her womb from the Holy Spirit.
- But Joseph her husband – being righteous and not wanting to publicly disgrace her – was determined to send her away secretly.
- And while these things were greatly troubling(2)“were greatly troubling” is a single word in Greek. This difficult to translate word literally means in a state of passionate response/thinking, typically producing inner turmoil. him, behold; an angel of the Lord came down and appeared to him in a dream saying; “Joseph, son of David, don’t be afraid to take Mary as your wife. For what was conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.
- She will bear a son, and you will call his name(3)The Greek word translated “name” means so much more than simply a person’s name; it also means their character or identity. To the ancient mind – Hebrews especially – a person’s name was inseparable from their character. (Notice in Ruth when Namoi changes her name to “Mara”. Mara is the Hebrew word for bitter) The name “Jesus” literally means “Yehowah saves” (God saves). It’s not just His name; it’s His character. It’s what He does; it’s who He is. Jesus because He will save the people from their sins.
- All this was – and is – happening that it might be fulfilled, what was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying:
- “Behold! The virgin will carry a child in her womb and will bear a son. And they will call His name Immanuel;”(4)quotation/allusion to Isaiah 7:14 which is translated: “God with us”.
- When Joseph woke from his sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded and took her as his wife.
- Also, he didn’t know her intimately(5)“know… …intimately” is one word in Greek. It emphasizes a personal sense of knowing, and is occasionally used as an idiom for sexual relations. until she gave birth to a son, and he called His name Jesus.
Next : Matthew Chapter 2
Previous: Malachi Chapter 4 (translation not yet started)
Up: BOS Bible Menu
Note: If you think a word, phrase, or passage could be better translated - or is wrong - then Please Say Something. This is an open source Bible that's accountable to all Christians. See this link for details.
Legal Use: Please feel free to quote the BOS Bible, but follow the guidelines on the Legal Use page when doing so. They are easy and mostly common sense.