(Tap footnote to read it. Old Testament quotations are underlined. "Love" with a caret ("^love") is agapé.(1)"agapé" The Greek words ἀγάπη (agapé, noun), and ἀγαπάω (agapaó; verb) are typically translated "love". However, unlike our English word "love" – which primarily speaks of affection and feelings – agapé centers on choice and behavior. It’s the "love" based on will, choice, behavior, and action; not feelings. (Feelings-based love is the Greek word φιλέω (phileó), which properly means "brotherly love/affection".) Thus, you could hate someone passionately and still treat him with "agapé". Agapé "love" is best understood as the pursuit of what is most beneficial to someone or something, regardless of the cost to yourself or the type of response received from the person or thing. It can also indicate a preference for someone or something over other things. )
The Day of the Lord
- Now brothers, concerning the coming of our Lord Anointed Jesus and our assembling together to Him, we implore you
- not to be quickly shaken nor troubled in your mind; not even by a spirit, nor by a word, nor by a letter (as if from us), saying that the day of the Lord *is already here.
- No one should deceive you in any way, because the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness – the son of destruction – will have been revealed;
- the man who opposes and exults himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so as for him to sit down in the temple of God, falsely demonstrating that he himself is God.
- Don’t you remember that while still being with you, I was saying these things to you?
- And now you *know what restrains him, for he is to be revealed in his proper time.
- For the mystery of lawlessness already works; only the man who restrains it presently hinders it, until he might be taken from the midst.
- And then the lawless man will be revealed, who the Lord Jesus will slay with the breath of His mouth and will bring to nothing by His appearance at His coming,
- The lawless man who’s coming in the work of Satan in all power, and signs, and false wonders,
- and in every unrighteous deceit for the men who perish, because they didn’t welcome the ^love of truth in order to be saved.
- And because of this, God sends an effective delusion on them, for them to believe the lie,
- so that all the men who didn’t believe the truth but delighted in unrighteousness might be judged.
- But we’re obligated to thank God always concerning you brothers, *^loved by the Lord, because God chose you from the beginning for salvation by becoming holy through the Spirit and by faith in the truth,
- into which He also called you through our gospel, for obtainment of the glory of our Anointed Lord Jesus.
- So then brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions which you were taught, whether through word or through letter from us.
- And our Anointed Lord Jesus Himself, and God our Father – the One who ^loved us and gave us the comforting encouragement of ages and good hope by grace –
- may He encourage your hearts and may He strengthen you in every work and good word.
Previous: 2 Thessalonians chapter 1
Up: BOS Bible Index
Note: If you think a word, phrase, or passage could be better translated - or is wrong - then Please Say Something. This is an open source Bible that's accountable to all Christians. See this link for details.
Legal Use: Please feel free to quote the BOS Bible, but follow the guidelines on the Legal Use page when doing so. They are easy and mostly common sense.